GENERAL ADMISSION + THIN ICE VR
- Adult Includes General Admission
- Child (Ages 12 -15) Includes General Admission
- Family Includes General Admission
- Senior/Student Memberships Includes General Admission • Ages 16+ *Please bring ID on the day
Multi-award-winning virtual reality historical recreation documentary
Screening at the International Antarctic Centre for a limited time!
Equal parts catastrophic and transcendent, Thin Ice VR presents a uniquely affecting account of how humanity asserts its will over the extremes of nature — often in unforeseen ways.
In 1914, polar explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton led the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition. Regarded as the last major expedition of the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration, it was to be the first to cross Antarctica coast-to-coast. Shackleton failed in his attempt, but the events that transpired form one of history’s greatest stories of leadership and survival.
Over a century on, modern-day adventurer Tim Jarvis AM recreated the famous events of Shackleton’s voyage, where he discovered that climate change had drastically impacted the region.
In a world-first virtual reality project, and a New Zealand Premiere (and world premiere outside Australia) produced by award-winning studio Monkeystack, Thin Ice VR offers an unrivalled immersive experience to follow in the footsteps of Shackleton and Jarvis that will leave viewers in no doubt about the devastating effects of climate change.
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- Best VR/360° Film at Barcelona Planet Film Festival 2022
- Official Selection at Adelaide Film Festival 2022
- Best Virtual Reality at Los Angeles Film Awards 2022 Best Virtual Reality Short at Cannes World Film Festival 2022
- Special Award for Best in Australia (all categories) at Qld XR Festival 2022
- Best in Virtual Reality (VR) Passive Immersive Experience at Qld XR Festival 2022
- Best Sound for Interactive Media at Australian Screen Sound Guild 2021
- World Premiere presented by Adelaide Film Festival and South Australian Museum – 19
CREDITS & SUPPORTERS
- Thin Ice VR – A Monkeystack and Shackleton Epic Expedition Production
- Major Partner: Torrens University Australia
- Financed and developed with the assistance of: South Australian Film Corporation, Screen Australia and Adelaide Film Festival Investment Fund
- Supported by: Kathmandu, One Ocean Expeditions and Documentary Australia